Sunday, September 17, 2006

De-Mystifying the Mouthwash Myth


As we mentioned earlier, all people have bad breath on occasion. When they do, most people immediately reach for the mouthwash. Not only is this ineffective but this action can also exacerbate the condition. Why is this so?

Mouthwash contains flavoring and dyes but most importantly the primary component is alcohol! They claim to kill bacteria, which is true in most cases. However, the bacteria is quick to return with an exponential affect because the alcoholic content causes dry mouth which is the leading cause of bad breath. It creates a very ineffectual cycle of repetition.

Commercial mouthwash products also contain other harsh chemicals. Studies have shown that excessive amounts of mouthwash irritate the gums, tongue, palate and mucous membranes in the mouth. If the user is a smoker AND consumes alcohol, heavy use of mouthwash can even cause certain cancers. It would be prudent to look at some of the other methods to deal with bad breath and stay away from the mouthwash.

If you would like to freshen your breath try preparing your own breath freshening mouthwash. A rinse consisting of a few drops of peppermint oil in a glass of water will do the trick nicely just don’t count on it to kill bacteria. Also just use it as a rinse and do not swallow.
There are other essential oils that work as well. Try tea tree, myrrh, spearmint, and ginger are also effective.

Rinsing your mouth with salt water is a great home remedy for a sore throat. It is also good for eliminating bad breath. You might also try rinsing with lemon or lime water as well. Both are equally effective and may taste a bit more pleasant than salt water.

Try drinking a small amount of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water at least once a day.

4 comments:

cocopuff said...

I would like some help or advise with the problem of bad breath which I believe is a symptom of a respitory ailment as I am quite fastidious with regard to oral hygien. I have had chronic sinusitus most of my life but I am otherwise quite healthy. The breath issue is having an adverse effect on my personal relationship and I would like to take steps "fix" the problem.

Unknown said...

RE: Causes and Cures for Snoring
My snoring was a problem for the spouse. My wife would often wake me to stop snoring. We found an unexpected solution that has stopped my snoring: The SquidFace and ComfyRest pillows. The snoring relief was an unexpected benefit of an invention I patented for being able to lie facedown comfortably and breathe without turning my head to the side. Snoring relief and many additional pain relief benefits are on my website. www.SquidFace.com

justus said...

does drinking the apple cider vinegar kill bacteria?

Deux Lai said...

Love your information on the mouthwash myth. Really an eye opener. Looking forward in more of your posts of bad mouth breath